Friday, January 18, 2008

The Ninety Nine Cents Store

And as I was crossing Delancey Street the other day, I noticed how that shopping district has changed, along with the rest of New York City and gentrification. And I noticed the 99 cents stores that were there years ago were closed and replaced with what looked like nine dollars and ninety nine cents stores, chain stores, boutiques, cafes, banks and hotels, and many of them. And Delancey street is starting to look like Le' Delancey Street. The Delancy Street area as well as much of the New York City area seems as if it is a city for sale. And the people are still there, yet who are the people. They say the only thing constant is change. Every decade of New York seems to have a different era in real estate. The 60's I hear rent was so cheap everyone could afford to move once a month, the 70's landlords torched their buildings, ran tenants out of buildings for fire insurance and arson was everywhere. The 80's buildings were abandoned and squats flourished. The 90's, gentrification and genocide seem to have taken place with no end in sight and if one has cheap rent without ten roomates, try and hold on to it. And what does the next decade thereafter hold for New York City. And when I looked down Delancy Street, I saw this really big billboard about ten stoplights down that read "Where Have All The Junkies Gone? Village Voice." Hugh? Well I guess the junkies could still be around but maybe they are rich junkies now instead of poor junkies or something. And what happens when even the yuppies start complaining that even they can not afford to live in New York City anymore. And I guess it's that end of an era change real estate what happened to the Bowery and old New York thing again. Where have all the 99 cents stores on Delancy street gone?

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

1 comment:

Mountainman said...

Upon visiting NYC for the first time in 6 years recently, on my way out of the Holland Tunnel to Queens I drove through the Delancey St. area looking for the services of a hooker and to maybe cop some smack, but much to my disappointment the area had undergone a gentrifying transformation. Then a few days later as I was happily retreating back to my mountain burgh from the hellhole that is NYC, when I noticed the sign, that I thought for sure related to a Village Voice article on the subject, but google brought up no such article. Could it have just been a sad commentary on the "progress" being made by the real estate whores and greed addicted developers, who have replaced the real prostitutes, and their drug dealers. I too miss the old "Bowery".